Two weeks ago, I chatted about how we can take care of Mother Earth. Not ONLY on April 22nd BUT every day of the year. As triathletes, we have so much equipment, clothing, etc., that we can re-use and recycle, that we truly need to think of what we are doing to help our Mother Earth. Check out the April 4th Blog Post about Water Bottles, about how to cut back on buying water bottles, and recycling your old water bottles! On April 11th, I vlogged about my 70.3 IM TX Race Report.
This week, let’s talk about “Recycling Bikes.” Next week, we will talk about “Recycling Bike Parts and Running Shoes.”
Here is the scenario: You buy a mountain bike to run around town on. You start doing triathlons. You do your first triathlon on your mountain bike. You upgrade to a pre-owned road bike. You start getting good. You buy your first triathlon bike. About 5 years later, you upgrade to the best triathlon bike on the market, and now you have 4 bikes sitting in your garage. What do you do with the bikes and the bike parts?
- Mountain bike – use it to run the dog, ride to the grocery store, or head to work.
- Road Bike – It is nice to ride with roadies, when you actually have a road bike. You don’t get that look ;)
- The older triathlon bike can be used as your indoor trainer bike.
- Place the bikes on Craigslist, eBay and even Facebook. There may be a newbie triathlete wanting that older triathlon bike. There may be a parent who wants to buy a used mountain bike for their kids.
- Check out Facebook as well, as groups are popping up selling their items. Here in San Antonio, we have San Antonio Tri Marketplace and Alamo BikeBay. I am sure you all have something similar in your local area.
- Youth Bicycle Program. I found a GREAT program in Austin called The Austin Yellow Bike Project. If you are not local, check out this great link for the Youth Bicycle Program and their need for donations in your area.
- Community Bike Program. Currently, I am looking for one but check Google in your area.
- Check out The Freecycle Network. What you post will be FREE to give to someone. Just offering it to someone who needs it!
I hope this helps you as we really need to think about what we do to our planet. Not for us, not for our kids, but for our grandkids and their kids. Remember what we are seeing today. Hopefully, the earth won’t fight back. Remember, April 22th is Earth Day, but so is every day!