Sidenote: Man, oh man. I love some social media, but I can also hate it. I have learned to step away from it for a full day on Sundays, and that has been my saving grace, TBH. As I was building my brand over the last 10 years, I was on social all the time, and it took too much time. Now, I am learning to post as needed and how it comes from the heart. If you are interested in grabbing my social media content calendar, click HERE to get on the newsletter list. I will share some wins and learnings from Social Media and how I build my brand.
The Love/Hate Relationship with Social Media
It was the end of the month, and I was getting all my social media together, such as Instagram, Facebook posts, Twitter, Pinterest, LinkedIn, and other platforms. As I spent almost 90 minutes organizing, posting, and cleaning up photos, I just screamed!
Ninety freaking minutes on social media for almost three days of work. WTH!!!
I stepped away for a bit. I got my mind cleared, and instead of “bitching” about social media, I started thinking about the positives of social media.
The LOVE with Social Media:
- Gathering Relationships – Isn’t it amazing how many people you connect with on social media. Then you head to an event, and you FINALLY met after so many years! That is one of the best things about social media.
- Finding Communities – The triathlon world is HUGE on social media, BUT I am sure CrossFit, Zumba, Running, etc., you get my point. Connect with people that LOVE what you love to do. You all will have this incredible bond!
- Building your business – If you have an online business, brick-and-mortar business, soon-to-be actor/actress, etc., you need to be on social media ASAP. Even though you may have a brick and mortar, it still doesn’t mean you shouldn’t build your brand online.
- Building your Clientele – If you have an online business, brick-and-mortar business, and you have clients to serve with either a product or a service. Get on social media NOW. Don’t oversell. Be you. Be your brand.
- Building your Tribe – Similar to finding the communities, BUT what I love about making my brand on social media, I have seen people who will share my journey with me!
The HATE with Social Media:
- Time Suck – Look at my introduction from above. I was on social media for almost 90 minutes as I was trying to put together my FB, Twitter, and Instagram, three accounts! It’s a lot. Put a timer on the phone and give yourself 30 minutes, morning, noon, and night. Found an app from another triathlon coach: Quality Time App . (Android Only. I will look for an Apple One.)
- Fake News – Fake News. Fake Photos. Just too freaking much. What do I mean by “fake?” You know the setup camera, with someone drinking a shake? Or the incredible body, only to find out that they are “starving” themselves. I want to be inspired. Educate me. Let me laugh. Please show me a GIF! Talk to me about something fun or what you have been doing in your triathlon world. But be real!
- NOT always raw and honest – There are so many photos that show the “perfect” look, stride, and non-belly, but there should be more of the raw and realness of a post. People want to be inspired by vulnerability, the rawness of a human being. A lot of people have a fear of being vulnerable. Trust me. You will get MAD PROPS from your followers for being raw and honest!
- Crappy Photos – Instagram is all about quality photos with a story. I do NOT want to see crappy images. I will unfollow your ass. Plain and simple. I do not want to know a shit ton of selfies (I had to learn that myself. Sorry!). Once again. I want to be inspired and motivated.
- Creepers! – Unfortunately, they are out there. We have to deal with it or block their asses.
Give Your Feedback About Social Media!
What do you LOVE about social media? What are your frustrations with social media? Comment below, as we all have to deal with them, AND how do you deal with them?
Want to learn more about my social media and brand world? Click HERE to grab my Social Media Calendar!