As triathletes, we swim, bike, and run. So, it can be really hard to get a lift in. Right? It can be a lot to do, along with taking care of the family, the house, etc. So, I wanted to help you out and so you can’t make excuses for why you can’t do a lift workout or body weight workout at home.
Every Friday in February, I will give you a specific workout to do at home, in your backyard, or in front of your TV!!!
This Week’s FAVORITE Strength Workout for Triathletes, At Home!
Every Minute on the Minute (EMOM)
An EMOM workout can be two different types of workouts:
- Interval Work (No more than 10 minutes)
- Strength Work (18 – 20 minute workout)
Interval Workout of EMOM (Working the Phosphagen System)
- You would do a “couple” of exercises all within a minute. If you get done with your exercises in 40 seconds, you have a 20 second rest. If you get done with your exercises in 50 seconds you have 10 seconds rest. I would like to see at least a 10-20 second rest within that minute. You push yourself within that minute knowing that you will have a little bit of rest.
- For example: 8 Burpees/10 Air Squats for EMOM for 10:00 minutes
Strength Workout of EMOM (Working on Strength and Power)
- One lift would be on the odd. Second Lift would be on the even.
- Odd: 5 Dumbbell Squats
- Even: 10 Push-Ups or Sit-Ups
- 16 – 20 minutes total, so you would get at least 40 squats and 80 Push-Ups or Sit-Ups
- I would be careful of doing TOO MUCH weight on the dumbbell squats, as the weight will add up over time.
- Another example:
- Odd: 20 Walking Lunges (10 each leg)
- Even: 15 MedBall or Weighted Sit-Up
- 16 – 20 minutes total
You can do so many different combos at home with this workout, getting full body workouts every week! Check out Strength Training for Triathletes’ Lingo and you will see a TON of different movements that you can do at home!
Like what you are seeing? Share the goods with friends and other triathletes, and let’s work out together! I want to see photos on Instagram; tag me, #CoachJenRulon or #RulonRacing, and let me know how you are ROCKING your strength training at home.